Sunday, April 26, 2009

An Air Time Decision

You may have wondered why there was no Cleveland News in English on the airwaves of Tevynes Garsai this morning. It was simply a matter of too much news and/or too little time.

As Aldona was wrapping up the Cleveland News in Lithuanian, I looked at the clock, which read 9:14 and some seconds. Looking at the list of news items I had compiled, I estimated I would need 7 to 10 minutes.

While we've pushed back the start of the Gyvenimo Varpai segment by a minute or two on occasion to accommodate a special interview, I didn't feel comfortable displacing Gyvenimo Varpai so significantly. Starting the parish program late means it also ends late, which leaves an odd, short amount of time to work with at the end of the show.

Bottom line: in live radio we make second by second decisions, for better or worse in hindsight. My fingers are ultimately the ones controlling the buttons in the air studio, and I made a decsion to skip the Cleveland News in English for one Sunday. I felt it was better to do that, than to rush through it, or drastically alter the structure of the nine o'clock hour.

And besides, you can read everything I was going to say on the air in the post right below this one. The on-air version of the news will return next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment